Thursday 30 July 2015

The Selection, Kiera Cass: review

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realises that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

When I picked this up around a year ago a big reason was the cover I’m not gonna lie. I’d heard very mixed things about this book and the rest or the trilogy/series and though I thought I may enjoying I was wary that I might have some issues and yeah it wasn't the best book in the world and I had some irks- like when a certain character reappeared that I really didn't think was necessary- but I nearly always do and I also had some surprises thrown in there too.

One of those surprises was the world, it was a typical dystopian world but it was more complex than I expected. There was a fair amount of political stuff happening and I’m hoping that this was only the setup of something that could grow over the next books.

I feel like the biggest element of this book is the characters, America is the main character and she is in general a likable character, yes a little irritating but I feel like her views are consistent with how and where she grew up. I am thoroughly in love with Prince Maxon he is an adorable gentlemen! Something else I wasn’t expecting was the amount we got to know the other contestants, for some reason I had not expected that and it gave you an opportunity to an insight into the other castes in the society.

The plot wasn’t a big part of this book but that is normal for a first book, it spends most of its time world building and that was done well. In general this was just a really quick, fun read that was super addictive! I am looking forward to read the second book when I get my hands on it even though I’m expecting to hate America a little bit! Have you read this? What were your thoughts?
Speak soon,
Jade xx   

No comments:

Post a Comment