Tuesday 9 June 2015

How I Rate Books

Hello lovely people!

Since I have FINALLY started doing reviews on this blog and have many coming your way soon, I thought I should explain to you how I rate my books so you can understand me better so then you can know if the book is for you :) Does that make sense, I'm not sure if it does...

Anyway for me there are two ways of seeing a book. There is the enjoyment level and then there is the appreciation level. I find sometimes that you can really enjoy a book and find it a great, fun read however it may not be the best writing in the world or you can see that this book has amazing writing and is full of symbolism yet you don't really enjoy it that much; that is the difference between the two. Obviously the best thing would be to both enjoy and appreciate a book but that isn't always the case. What I tend to do when rating from 1-5stars is I try to balance it between the but enjoyment tends to weigh in more because that is the main reason I read. 1 star for me would be that I didn't enjoy or appreciate the book at all, 2 stars would normally mean that I appreciated but didn't necessarily enjoy it, 3 stars means an overall good book, 4 stars equal me really enjoying a book and appreciating it at least a little and then the big 5 stars means that I absolutely loved it on both levels.

It is very rare I give a book less than 3 stars because its very rare that I don't enjoy/appreciate a book, I have problems  with them sure but overall I tend to like most books I read. And when I write a review I will always tell you what I see as good and bad.

Big things I look for and really like in books are complex characters with tons of character develop, I love that stuff, I connect to characters very quickly and emphasise a little too much so characters have a massive effect on my thoughts. A book that is great except for character will only get a 3 maybe 4 at a push.

The aim of this post was to explain to how I rate books and what I really like in books so that you can have a better chance of finding a book that you will like (because we will all see and rate books differently and it is kinda impossible for me to be objective) which is why I do this. I want more people reading, I want to share this passion I have for books and to infect everyone else with it!

I hope you are doing great!
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment