Thursday 11 June 2015

Elizabeth Is Missing, Emma Healey- Review


‘Elizabeth is missing.’ Maud keeps finding notes in her pockets with this message scrawled on it, but she can’t remember writing it. That said, she can’t remember much these days: the time of day, whether she’s eaten lunch, if her daughter’s come to visit, how much toast she’s eaten. Still, the notes about Elizabeth nag at her. When was the last time she spoke with her best friend? It feels like ages ago... Frustratingly, no one seems willing to help Maud find her: not the police nor Elizabeth’s son - not even Maud’s own daughter or granddaughter. It’s like they’re hiding something. Maud resolves to take matters into her own hands, and begins digging for the truth. There are many clues, but unhelpfully, they all seem to point to another unsolved disappearance: that of Maud’s sister Sukey just after the war. Could the mystery of Sukey’s disappearance lead Maud to the truth about Elizabeth? As Maud’s mind retreats into the past at a frightening pace, alienating her from her family and carers, vivid memories of what happened over fifty years ago come flooding back to give her quest new momentum.

Elizabeth is missing was getting a substantial amount of hype and won the Costa book award for first novel last year; this coupled with the blurb (I meaning how intriguing can you get?) meant I was willing to branch out of my comfort zone and try an adult mystery novel. For me there are the 3 parts to this book: 1. The narration 2. The mystery side 3. The family aspect. 

This book is narrated entirely by Maud and her dementia makes her very unreliable, something which I have never experienced before. On one hand it kept things interesting and her thoughts processes kept revealing things little by little while also keeping you completely in the dark. It put me in a very strange place, I felt very out of it and fuzzy, I'm sure how to explain but it was very odd. So I guess that means it was effective  but in a good or bad way, I don't know. 

There are two mysteries for Maud- where is her friend Elizabeth in the present and then a past mystery from when her sister went missing when Maud was around 14-15 if I remember correctly. I found this side super gripping and I could never really predict anything because of the narration. The way these two are intertwined and how they come together at the end (kinda, I don't want to spoil anyone!) was beautifully done and the driving force of the plot. 

I don't have any experience with dementia so I'm no expert but the way it was represented seemed so real and honest and my favourite part of the book was how Emma Healey showed the toll on Maud's daughter and granddaughter, for they, unlike Maud, are fully aware of the situation and they have to live with seeing someone they love lose themselves and look after when she used to look after them. It was very moving.

Overall it was a bit of a mixed bag for me, I liked the mystery side and the family aspect and can tell by my reaction that it was well written but I personally didn't enjoy the experience and so I gave it 2.5 stars. If any of you have read it I would really like to hear your thoughts. 

Speak soon,
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment