Saturday 30 August 2014

American Book Haul

So as you may be able to tell from the title I just got back from America; and I may or may not have picked up a few books :)

First though I got my most anticipated book of the year- The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick. The book adaptation of the webseries which is a modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. I know tricky to get your head round it!

Also a couple of days before I went to the Waterstones on New Street in Birmingham (it is such a nice building!) to meet Rainbow Rowell and it was awesome, she was so nice and funny, it was a really great night. Anyway while there I picked up the beautiful special editon of Fangirl and her new book Landline (since that was what the whole tour was in aid of) and I've already read and for me it tops Eleanor and Park.

Now we can actually get on with the books I got on holiday: I went to a Barnes and Nobel and it was pretty cool I have to say.They had categories within young adult, sounds miniscule I know, but I knew I didn't want contemporary and this meant I could just go to like the fantasy section and not be tempted by other books.That being said I went in with a list and out of the 3 I got only 1 was on the list but I'm super happy with all of them:

The book on my list that I got was Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, the 2nd book in 1 of my favourite series The Lunar Chronicles. I'm not going to go into the plot as its a sequel but it is a dystopian series with cyborgs and people that live on the moon and then each book is like a fairytale retelling. So Cinder is Cinderella and Scarlet is Little Red Riding Hood.

I picked up The Assassin's Blade too. A collection of short stories that act as a prequel to Throne of Glass which I just finished and loved! It follows Celaena an the countries best assassin and some of the things she gets up to before she was captured and taken to a basically a concentration camp after being betrayed.

Then I got The Ring and the Crown by Melissa De La Cruz. This mainly drew me in by 2 things. 1. It is a beautiful book and 2. The blurb thing on the back: "Two girls. One beautiful and strong. One plain and powerless. Only one shall be queen... And the other shall serve her. But as I awake from sleep, I still do not know- which one of them is my daughter? And which one is the traitor?" I mean how awesome does that sound? Its all like politics and monarchy and awesomeness!

Then we were waiting around in the airport and there was a book shop. It was a bit of an impulse buy but every time I see this book I contemplate getting it and it has been on my wishlist for ages now. So I caved and brought The Selection by Kira Cass. All that I think I know is that there is some competition for the prince and becoming queen? But I'm deliberately going in blind to this book as I feel like that is best.
So those are all the books I have collected recently let me know if you have read any of them; especially the last 2! I don't know when my next haul will be. My birthday is next month so I may get some books then but I'll just wait till I have a decent amount to tell you about :)
Speak soon,
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment