Monday 31 August 2015

August Wrap-up

Hello! Long time no see! (kinda) I know I said I was going to post everyday but I burnt myself out a little so I just stepped away but I'm back now :) Today I have my August wrap-up because apparently summer has pretty much gone. I read 9 things in August which I am happy with especially since I read practically nothing in the 2nd half of the month.
  • North & South, Elizabeth Gaskell. This was a re-read for me and I appreciated it so much more and spotted all these new things. I adore this story and Gaskell's writing. 5 stars.
  • Macbeth, Shakespeare. I scribbled all over this when reading it, I've done bits and pieces of this play at school but never read it all the way through, though it can be a little difficult at times I am a big fan of Shakespeare. 4 stars.
  • An Anthem For Doomed Youth, Wilfred Owen. This was a little collection of Owen's war poetry, I "enjoy" war poetry (for want of a better phrase) I think it is because of the amount of emotion behind the subject makes it very effective and moving. The only thing is that reading a whole load 1 after the other got a little depressing. 4 stars.
  • Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops, Jen Campbell. This was another re-read because I needed a pick me and the things people say in bookshops- though worrying at times- is hilarious. 5 stars.
  • Olalla, Robert Louis Stevenson. This is a gothic short story about vampires. I love Robert Louis Stevenson's writing and have an extremely strong urge to read every single thing by him the story was a little... off. 3 stars.
  • A Streetcar Named Desire, Tennessee Williams. I am studying this play at some point in the year which why i read it. It was ok and i picked up on a lot of symbolism and what not so that is good. But I read it in 1 sitting and it was so sad; it just hit like a ton of bricks really. 3 stars.
  • Nimona, Noelle Stevenson. This is a graphic novel about a shapeshifter who joins forces with a villian to take on the town's hero. On the surface it is just super fun; underneath that though the characters are actually quite complex and deep. Also the art it gorgeous! 5 stars.
  • The Great Winglebury Dual, Charles Dickens. This is an early short story of Dicken's and to be honest it was very odd and just didn't really go anywhere. 2 stars.
  • The World's Wife, Carol Ann Duffy. I fancied some poetry the other day and so I was looking at the poetry section in waterstones and saw the collection I am studying this year. And for once I think I might like the poems I'm studying. The poems are based on famous Men's wives and is witty and brilliant. 4 stars.
So a pretty good reading month all in all even if I actually managed to read quite a few sad books. What did you read this month?
Speak soon,
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment