Sunday 2 August 2015

July 2015 Wrap-up

Hello lovelies! I hope you are having a great summer. Today I'm going to share with you everything that I read during July. I read 12 things last month which is crazy but it is a mix of novels, poetry and audiobooks. Enjoy!
  • Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw. This I read because it was on the drama reading list for English and because it was book 2 in Classic Alice (check it out!). It is basically My Fair Lady (which I watch after reading this) but with massive, massive gaps in the plot but apart from that and the extremely long stage directions I liked and it was really interesting to re-watch that part of Classic Alice and spot links :) (3 stars)
  • The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot. This is about 14yr old (or around that) who suddenly finds out she is a Princess and chaos ensues I listened to this on audiobook and just found it really fun, even though sometimes it was a little cringey but that is what you're like at that age. (3 stars)
  • Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.This was kind of a re-read as I read bits of it here and there but I never read it in 1 go and didn't know everything that happened. I love Shakespeare but... Romeo and Juliet is just a little ridiculous. (3 stars)
  • The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan. This is hands down the best books I've read this year, it is beautiful! The world is flooded and it mainly follows North- a girl who dances with her bear in a circus- and a Gracekeeper Callanish. Here's my review if you want to know more! (5 stars)
  • Seeing Stars by Simon Armitage. 2 stars I read some poetry today as part of my summer work for English but it isn't really my thing. I enjoyed some of them but mainly I found them odd and many didn't really have an ending they just stopped. (2 stars)
  • Rapture by Carol Ann Duffy. I enjoyed most of these- some I had actually studied before- and in general I do like Carol Ann Duffy which is good because I know I will be looking at her work in class next year. (3stars)
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K.Rowling. I don't think I need to say much about this really but I listened to this on audiobook and adored it even more than the other times I've read it, it is just so fun and brilliant and magical!  (5 stars)
  • Selected Poems by Sylvia Plath. After reading this I believe Plath's work is one of those I can only enjoy if I discuss and pick it apart, but I could appreciate the writing while reading it. (2 stars)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K.Rowling. Same again- Harry Potter is wonderful and I will never not love it. (5 stars)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K.Rowling. If you haven't twigged yet I'm re-reading/ listening to this series and I can't get enough of it :) (5 stars)
  • What She Left by T.R.Richmond. This one was a pleasant surprise as I though I wouldn't enjoy this. It is about Alice Salmon who drowned, a Professor is piecing together her life through articles, social media and her friends and family; slowly but surely the jigsaw comes together and you get to the truth. If you want to know my thoughts on it here is my review that I posted earlier this week. (4 stars)
  • A Slip under the Microscope by H.G.Wells. This is my first H.G.Wells that I have read and overall I quite liked it. The Door in the Wall was a bit odd and dull but I prefered A Slip under the Microscope much more, the only thing is just as I was really getting pulled  in it ended. (3 stars)
I also read a chunk (over half) of A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell so I am super happy with the amount I read this month; it felt so good to be reading again!
Speak soon,
Jade xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment