Saturday 23 May 2015

The Tinder Box by Hans Christian Anderson- Review

One of Penguin's Little Black Classics (no. 23 to be precise) for their 80th anniversary was a small collection of Hans Christian Anderson's work and I adored them! Its only 64pgs and includes The Tinder Box (the title of the collection), Little Claus and Big Claus, The Princess and the Pea (my favourite), The Steadfast Tin Soldier, The Nightingale and The Red Shoes.

I fell in love with his writing! It has an enchanting, magical tone to it that is so matter-of-fact and perfect. Don't get me wrong the stories are a little strange... okay super, super strange but despite their ridiculousness I found them really enjoyable.

It was also nostalgic for me; I have this beautifully illustrated big book of bedtime stories that had some of these in and reminding myself of all the details was lovely! I am certainly planning on reading more of Hans Christian Anderson's works.
4.5 stars.

Speak soon,
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment