Tuesday 6 January 2015

Bout of Books 12 Challenges: Day 2

So today's challenge is from Trees of Reverie and it is you Top 10 Recommendations. With that in mind I have picked 10 of my favourite books that are a bit of a spread when it comes to genres and things like that. Actually now I look at them I think these sum up my reading tastes pretty well. :)



  1. Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen. This is 1 of my favourite books because it just warms my heart and I love the characters, writing style... I could go on and on about this book and I think anyone who is slightly interested in this should pick it up!
  2. North & South, Elizabeth Gaskell. This book is about a young lady who moves from the quiet country to the middle of the industrial revolution. I comments on social classes and prejudices of the time. Also a little something I like about this is that we get a lot more of the man's perspective and not just Margaret's. 
  3. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte. I think the thing that grabbed me with this book was the setting. You have the gloomy, mysterious halls of Thornfield to match it's brooding master. Then the windy, wild moors, it is all very romantic in the Victorian sense of the word.
  4. A Little Princess, Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is aimed at younger readers but anyone could read it. Sara is treated like a princess in every way until she loses every penny. She is forced to be a servant at her own school but she still manages to be a princess.
  5. The Miniaturist, Jessie Burton. Set in Amsterdam 1686, Nella comes to her new home expecting to be a wife but then her wedding gift- a dollhouse- begins to mimic the real house. Plot twist after plot twist unravels each characters layer by layer. This books is just so intriguing!
  6. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs. This book using old, creepy photographs to build characters and from them a story. The concept works brilliantly and the story is so fun and not what I was expecting at all.
  7. Cinder, Marissa Meyer. This sc-fi, fairytale retelling just has everything! An amazing world, complex characters and a little romantic tension, a good story. 
  8. Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell. I could really relate to the main character in this book, Cath is an introvert who feels very alone and she is very nerdy also. This is a coming-of-age book if anything else as Cath moves to collage and deals with everything that comes with it. 
  9. Landline, Rainbow Rowell. This is an adult book where a marriage is on the rocks and the wife calls her husband on her old landline, he picks up but from before they were married! This is a very interesting dynamic as Georgie questions pretty much everything she knows.
  10. The Secret Countess, Eva Ibbotson. I have read this book over and over. Anna is a Russian refugee in 1919 London. Penniless she goes to work as a maid for an Earl and tries to keep her secret identity of Countess secret. This is such a romantic, heartwarming story and I adore it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment