Monday 16 June 2014

May Wrap-up

Hello! Long time no see (again). I got swept up by exams but wrap-ups are better late than never right? :)
So I only read 2 books in May and started 1 other. I'm going to do just short little reviews on both of them.

Firstly I finally finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This book has got such a unique, beautiful, poignant voice to it. It is narrated by Death and mainly follows a girl named Liesel Meminger who is living with her foster parents in Munich, Germany during WW2. This was the first book that I have read that is set in Germany when it comes to the war. So it was a completely different side to it. I love the writing style and the depth to the characters; it is actually quite fun at parts and then it has the more serious parts which tends to be the war parts. The end is... it has quite nice ending really but it is also sad (I sobbed for the last 50pgs or so). However you kind of expect it as Death has his own method of foreshadowing- he tells you some of the things that happen. I don't thing I have a fault with this book it is so wonderful. 5 Stars.

The 2nd and last book I read was Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira. This is an epistolary novel where a girl just starting high school- May- writes letters to people who she looks up to and died young. You basically read her grieving process as she comes to terms with the death of her sister, things that happen to her when she was supposed to be with her and also her experiences with high school and love. It is a very deep emotional read and deals with difficult topics. The letters start off by hinting and they slowly reveal what happened to May, this is frustrating but keeps you wanting to read more, so its clever really. I would recommend this to lovers of The Perks of Being a Wallflower as it is a similar vibe. 4 stars.

I also started Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, which I am enjoying so far. I would love to hear your thoughts if you have read any of these.

Speak soon,
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment