Thursday 24 April 2014

Cinder Review

So Cinder by Marissa Meyer is the first book of the Lunar Chronicles series. Which you probably already know because many people have read it and the third book- Cress- came out a month or two ago. And after at least a year of being on my shelves I finally picked it up and I wish I had done it sooner, I literally read in like 17 hours so under a day! That is how much I enjoyed it and then preceded to have a book-hangover for about a week because of it. Anyway on with the review!

Cinder is a retelling of Cinderella but not a super super obvious one. Yes she has a really evil step-mother and 2 step-sisters and there is a ball and a prince and all that but apart from that you just get little references. Like at one point something was referred to a pumpkin and this added something really fun to the story. However plot and character wise there is quite a big difference. For starters it is set in New Beijing after the 4th world war I think it was, and a lot has changed. The main difference is that there is now androids and cyborgs- which are looked upon as inferior- Cinder is a cyborg and this causes complications with her interaction between herself and the prince. Throughout the book there is an underlying mystery of Cinder's past and also an almost political tension between the Prince and the Queen of a race called the Lunars (who live on the moon, the moon! How cool is that!?) All these thing interlock seamlessly, creating this fast pace, complex world with these amazing characters to make us feel connected. And for me that is the most important part of a book- the characters, that is the way that I, as the reader connect and get immersed in a book. The world and plot can be brilliant but without decent characters all that is lost on me.

I gave Cinder 5 stars and I would give it more if I could. Its just fantastic and I need to get my hands on Scarlet now! I know this is very brief and vague but that is partly on purpose. I went into Cinder without knowing much about it at all, and that's what I want you guys to do. So if you haven't already I urge you to pick it up and go into it blind, just make sure you have a day or two to spare cause you won't be able to stop reading it!

Speak soon,
Jade xx

P.S. I also read 3 novellas that are on wattpad to this series 2 were prequels to Cinder which really added to Cinder's character and her families too, and the 3rd was a Scarlet prequel which gave us a little more info on something that was touched on in Cinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment